Art teachers decorate Broyles with their masterpieces

The halls of Broyles will be decorated this fall with the artwork of the Visual Arts Faculty Exhibit, showcasing the artistic style and works of the arts faculty.

“I think that the show was really strong,” said art teacher Walter DuPriest, “in the sense that there are a lot of different types of work available.”
The show is open to any member of the art department as a way to show the school some of the pieces they have been working on personally.

“Any art teacher who [teaches] here,” said art teacher Kristen Brown, “had the option of including work they did over the summer, or any other art they wanted to show.”

The main focus of the show was on finding pieces created by those in the school community who had spent time and dedication toward making their own personal works of art.

Perhaps one of the most important features of the show was the level of personality and character built into each piece.

“It was a collection of work,” said DuPriest, “that was a genuine expression of all the individuals present, for one reason or another.”

The diversity of personality and interests shown in the art was further demonstrated in the style and techniques used by different members of the art department.

“I think,” said visual arts department chair, Ben Steele, “we’ve got such different mediums and approaches to art within the department, so it was really nice to see the whole show come together.”

That diversity was especially expressed in the variation among the organizers of the art show as well, reflecting not just their personalities, but also the experiences that had inspired their art work

“All [teachers],” said Brown, “had the option of including any artwork they did over the summer, or current work they wanted to show. For instance, I went to Guatemala this summer, so I showed the work I did there.”

The use of experiences outside of the school year also greatly influenced other teachers as well in the work they chose to display.

“My own work,” said Steele, “was a couple of paintings I worked on in artist’s residency this summer in Vermont.”

Not only has the art show been used to demonstrated experiences and influences outside of the classroom, it has also been used inside the classroom as well as a teaching tool.

“I know the elementary students came over to the high school and got to see all the art work and see what they can look forward to  and what type of teachers do what,” said Brown.

The trend has also continued in many classes outside of those in the elementary school.

“I know that some teachers,” said Steele, “have really made a point of taking their classes to the show to see their work.”

But beyond just teaching class, the exhibit also allowed students to see their teachers in a different light, that of artist rather than instructor.

“It’s an opportunity,” said DuPriest, “for them to see that this is what I make work about, that this is where my head lives when I’m not with you, focusing on your work.”

Ultimately, the driving force of the Faculty Art Show was the forum it provided between students and teachers for artistic expression and to provide a bigger picture of the artistic community.

“I think it’s hugely important to continue that tradition going forward,” said Steele. “It gives a different avenue for students to talk about art in general, but specifically [the teacher’s] interests. It’s just a different way to engage students.”

The Faculty Art Show will run until Oct. 6 in Broyles Arts Center.