Spotlight on ex Secret Service Agent and Westminster’s current Head of Security: Steve Spivey

In the heart ofWestminster, where the bustling energy of students fills the corridors, there’s a figure quietly ensuring safety and security: Steve Spivey, the director of campus safety and security. With a career spanning over two decades in the United States Secret Service, Spivey brings a wealth of experience and a unique perspective to his role at Westminster.

Before joining the Westminster community nearly five years ago, Spivey spent 22 years with the Secret Service. Spivey grew up in Fayette County, Georgia, and attended Georgia State University. His journey began with a desire to pursue a career in law enforcement, aiming for something challenging and impactful. Upon graduation, he embarked on a rigorous application process, which included extensive background checks and interviews. Eventually, he became a Secret Service member, tasked with protecting high-profile individuals, including presidents and other heads of state.

“I spent 22 years with the Secret Service, and you may or may not know exactly what they do,” said Spivey. “The thing that they’re most known for doing is protecting the president of the United States. It is also a dual-mission agency. They have two primary focuses– investigation and protection. That is what I did throughout my career as well, both investigations and protection. The majority of it was… [protection] for the president, as well as the first lady, the vice president, and the second lady. The secret service is also obligated to protect the head of state and other authorities from another country… whenever they come to the United States.”

Spivey’s tenure with the Secret Service saw him serving under four sitting presidents and providing protection for former presidents and other dignitaries. His responsibilities ranged from investigative work to even ensuring the safety of VIPs during international summits and domestic events. Throughout his career, he traveled the world, working tirelessly to uphold the agency’s mission of safeguarding the nation’s leaders.

“I got to travel all over the world,” said Spivey. “I’ve worked with a lot of really good people and got the opportunity to do some things that… were a part of history being made. But, it was a lot of hard work and a lot of traveling. You know, I was away from home a lot, missed a lot of holidays, birthdays, and anniversaries. But I always tried to make those things up whenever I got back. My family was good at accepting that and believing in what I did. They made it easier for me to do it because of their support.”

His decision to retire from the Secret Service was met with the opportunity to continue serving in a new capacity – protecting the students, faculty, and grounds of Westminster. As an original Atlantan, taking on a job offer in Atlanta was a pleasant return to his hometown to start a new chapter in life. 

“I came back to Georgia when it was time for me to leave Washington, D.C.,” said Spivey. “The members of the Secret Service that help us adjust back to civilian life said, ‘All right, you need to go someplace. Where do you want to go?’ And I gave them probably five different cities that I would be willing to move to. Atlanta was one of them. So it was a good landing, and it was a good thing for me. I considered it a soft landing coming back here because it was home, and my wife was from here as well.”

His experience in security in federal law enforcement aided the transition to the school campus. Embraced by the warm welcome of the school community, he found himself quickly adjusting to his new role. 

“I found this job posted on a website,” said Spivey. “I read it and thought that it sounded really interesting. So I applied for it, and I got a pretty quick response. The job is not unlike what I used to do. I used to protect people in places as a Secret Service agent and that’s really what I do here. I protect students and faculty.”

Spivey speaks fondly of the supportive environment at Westminster and the sense of purpose that comes with safeguarding the school’s cherished traditions and values.  

“The staff and faculty are great. They really welcomed me with open arms when I first came here which made the transition very easy. Not to mention, the campus is very beautiful. And I’ll be honest, when I retired and came here, I thought there would come a day where I would say or question myself, ‘What was I thinking? Why did I leave my job?’ But I really am comfortable there, and that day never came.”

As head of security, Spivey oversees various aspects of safety, including traffic management, access control, and surveillance. His commitment to the well-being of the Westminster community extends beyond his official duties, as he regularly engages with students, sharing insights from his previous career and providing guidance on topics such as cybersecurity and emergency preparedness.

The 2023-2024 school year marks his fifth year at Westminster. As the school undergoes transformations with new construction projects this year, Spivey looks ahead to the future with optimism, ready to adapt and continue serving the school community. With his professionalism and unwavering commitment to safety, Spivey remains a pillar of strength at Westminster, embodying the values of service and excellence that define the institution.

Edited by Selena Patel