The many reasons why I’m voting for Barack Obama

I grew up in a relatively conservative household. My parents tried not to influence me one way or another as a child, something that I greatly appreciate today. They let me form my own opinions and decide for myself what is “right.”

To their chagrin, I became a Democrat. And not just a slightly leaning-left Democrat, but a full-on, “crazy,” campaigning, bleeding-heart liberal.

My parents are no longer able to say that I’m just a Democrat to be rebellious or to go along with my Northern friends. They finally understand that this is what I genuinely believe. Of course, they still think I’m wrong, and they take every opportunity to try and convince me of that. My solution was simply to watch the 2012 presidential debates in separate rooms.

I think that President Obama has done the best he can with the economy in these past four years. It took President George W. Bush eight years to bring the economy this far down, and it’s going to take more than four years to bring it back up. The fact is, the economy HAS improved in these past four years. In October 2009, the unemployment rate was 10 percent, the highest it had been since November 1982. As of September 2012, the unemployment rate was 7.8 percent.

I agree with Obama’s foreign policies. In the third presidential debate, I’m of the opinion that Obama won. My father agreed with me, saying, “It’s hard for any presidential candidate to go up against a sitting president about foreign policy when the current president has done a great job.” This was shown through the debate, where Governor Romney largely agreed with many of Obama’s plans.

To me, the heart of this election is social issues. I understand that fiscal issues are of enormous concern. Of course they are, and it would be ridiculous to say otherwise. However, it’s also ridiculous to disregard the social issues in favor of the economic.

In May 2012, President Obama became the first president of the United States to come out in support of same-sex marriage.

“I’ve always been adamant that gay and lesbian Americans should be treated fairly and equally,” said Obama in an interview on ABC. “When I think about those soldiers or airmen or Marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same-sex couples should be able to get married.”

This election is pivotal for LGBT rights. It’s very likely that there will be two openings in the Supreme Court within the next four years. If conservative judges are appointed, we face the possibility that the Defense of Marriage Act will be upheld. This bill seeks to legally define marriage as between a man and a woman. I believe that this bill itself is unconstitutional.

In line with the Supreme Court appointments, there’s also the risk that the controversial Roe v. Wade decision will be overturned. Vice President Biden and Congressman Ryan discussed abortion in the vice presidential debate. I am firmly pro-choice and believe in a women’s right to choose. Biden agrees with me.

“I do not believe that we have a right to tell other people that, women, that they can’t control their body,” Biden said. “It’s a decision between them and their doctor, in my view, and the Supreme Court. I’m not going to interfere with that.” Biden made the important distinction that while he himself is pro-life because of his Catholic faith, politically he is pro-choice. I’d like to see more of this type of thinking in American politics, a true separation of church and state.

And of course, there’s women’s rights. The fact that it is 2012 and women are still seen as a special interest group angers me, but those are the facts. The gender wage gap is still a primary issue. In 2010, women earned just 81 percent of what men did. The first bill that President Obama signed into law was the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act of 2009. The act said that the 180-day statue of limitations for filing an equal-pay lawsuit restarts with each new paycheck. Governor Romney was against this bill. To me, as a woman, voting for Governor Romney would be like voting against my own rights.

In my opinion, President Barack Obama is the better candidate for president. On December 18, 2011, President Obama ended the war in Iraq. Later, Osama bin Laden was killed. The economy is on the mend. LGBT rights are at a tipping point, with President Obama ready to push us forward into the future. Women’s rights and abortion issues will be better handled under Barack Obama and Joe Biden. This is why, on November 6, 2012, I will be casting my vote for President Barack Obama.