Letter from the Editors – October 2023

Dear readers,

Welcome to the October 2023 edition of the Bi-Line! As our second year of offering a fully online version of Westminster’s most illustrious and typo-free newspaper, we hope that the 2023-2024 school year will bring new digital offerings and opportunities to reach more readers than we ever have before. We are so excited to be this year’s head editors, and we can’t wait to see where thebiline.com is headed in the near future.

If you haven’t already, be sure to check out our brand new app! Yes, you heard that right: we have an app. By downloading Student News Source on the App Store, you can hold an even more personalized edition of the Bi-Line, right in the very palm of your hand – and let’s be honest, what’s better than that?! Additionally, we are back and better than ever with a brand new Instagram page, @thewestminsterbiline, where we hope to shine an even brighter spotlight on the most recent headlines around campus and the broader Atlanta community. 

Joining the Bi-Line as fresh-faced, naïve underclassmen in a COVID-infected world, we have watched our online platform continue to develop and grow over the span of the past few years. From booking it across campus amidst Barge Commons construction to make an interview to standing in Warren Lecture Hall with 50 chicken biscuits in hand about to host our first staff-wide meeting, we’ve learned a lot over the years, maturing and becoming better reporters, editors, and leaders all at the same time. 

Therefore, as seniors heading into our last year at Westminster, we wanted to offer you readers the “chair” life-hack that has helped us make it to senior year. We know it’s quite hokey, but we promise it will help.

Leg 1: Recharge. Constantly juggling APs, the clarinet, the school play, and/or sports gets exhausting. Therefore, your editors are reminding you to take a break. You’ll actually do better.  For James, that’s the occasional fishing trip with friends. For Alex, that’s getting dinner with friends on Friday nights. Of course, reading the Bi-Line is always an option! (Again, you can find us on instagram @thewestminsterbiline!!)

Leg 2: Sleep and eat right. COVID taught us a few things, and that includes the importance of sleep. We’re sure you are all familiar with the morning-after regret after staying up late on your phone the night before. Therefore, make sure you get eight hours of sleep or however much Westminster’s never-ending workload will allow. Also, as many of you may know, we love a good snack, especially a strawberry Uncrustable. While you don’t have to eat only PBnJs, make sure you’re eating more than just a bag of jalapeno chips from Hawkins.

Leg 3: Invest in relationships. Yes, we know it sounds weird, but we promise it’s true. High school is the time to build friendships that will last a lifetime. Yes, grades, extracurriculars, sports, and college matters, but make sure to spend some time investing in relationships. Your time at Westminster will fly by WAY quicker than you think, so take the time to meet others and share experiences that you’ll always remember. Trust us, you won’t regret it. If you do it right, in four years you’ll leave Westminster not only with a transcript and diploma but also with lifelong friends, mentors, and incredible memories.

Leg 4: Take big risks – you have three other legs to support you. Now back to the usual Westminster grind mentality. Westminster has incredible opportunities and resources. Use them. THIS is the time to experiment, to find what you’re passionate about and what interests you. Exhaust all Westminster’s resources (your parents are paying for it anyway) and try something new. Do not let your fear of judgment stop you from doing what you want. By senior year, we can promise that you’ll regret a missed opportunity WAY more than not being a carbon copy of the average Joe in your grade. 

We are so excited to present to you all that this edition has to offer, from detailed recounts of Homecoming festivities to exploring why popular Celsius drinks have seemed to take over campus. We hope that each and every one of you can find an article that appeals to you. Continue to stay curious about your community and interconnected to one another. Thank you for reading, and we’ll see you in November!

Your Head Editors,

Alexandra Kent and James Rhee